Friday, January 16, 2015

PDP Guide Part 21: Makai

Part 20 can be found here.

Well, welcome to Makai. This is the final area of the main game (not including post-game, of course). In other words, this is pretty much the toughest challenge you are going to face. I hope you're ready for it.

As a terribly underleveled benchmark, here is my team for this:
Speed Momiji level 97
Power Lily level 82
Power Shou level 70
Power Koishi level 69
Power Iku level 67
Power Kanako level 67

Let's hope this is enough to complete Makai, shall we?

Upon exiting the weird white room, head down and you'll see that you're in a rather nice town (albeit a little strange. I never played the PC98 games, but why are there signs with random words on them?

Anyway, head up past the fountain and to the left. You'll see a Stall with a Demon Shopkeeper. She'll sell you healing items such as Paste of the Fog, Ecstasy Sets, Moriya Sinshu, etc. Head right past her and up. There's some grass here where you can capture Yumeko, Alice, Sara, Shinki, Yuki, and I'm assuming that since Yuki is here then Mai is too, and I just haven't run into her yet. [Thank you to anonymous commenter for letting me know Shinki can be caught here]
More importantly, however, keep heading up, up some stairs, and then right. Talk to Luize/Louise (I never know what the proper spelling is for her?), and she will heal you. Thank goodness. I love you Luize. I don't know anything about you, including how to spell your name, but I love you.
If you head back down to where the grass was and go right there is another Demon Merchant Kiosk-ey thing, this one selling Skill Card and Oath Thread.

When you're ready, head up the stairs near Luize/Louise. This will bring you to an area with a LOT of stairs. Which if I'm not mistaken is Pandaemonium? Or perhaps not. It's not all crystally, and I thought Pandaemonium was crystally?

Oh well, either way, go in and talk to the woman at the counter to gain access to the door on the left. Head on in. Oh, but first, need I remind you to stock up on supplies, heal, and save? Because I really shouldn't need to remind you.

Oh, and standard Elite Four procedures of save and heal after every fight applies. You can always Gap out if you need to. Just remember that Gapping means restarting your challenge against these guys. Even if you do get knocked out, you don't lose any money in this game, and you still gained Exp from fighting them.

First up, Yuki! She uses a level 68 Orin, level 68 Futo, level 70 Suika, level 70 Marisa (with an ability that lets her steal Held Items. She took my Food Rations TT_TT), and a level 72 Yuki.

Second, we have Mai! She uses a level 70 Patchouli, level 72 Satori, level 72 Iku, level 70 Seiga, and a level 74 Mai.

Third, we have Yumeko! She uses a level 72 Miko, level 72 Yumemi, level 74 Sakuya, level 74 Kokoro, and a level 76 Yumeko.

Finally, we have Shinki (who if I knew was next I would have fully healed my entire party rather than just keeping Kanako at half health because she's my sacrifice if I need to revive someone, and I would have unlearned/relearned Momiji's moves).

Well, here we go. Final boss. Shinki uses a level 76, level 78 Mima, level 76 Byakuren, level 78 Yumeko, level 80 Sariel, and a level 85 Shinki.

If you have defeated Shinki, then congratulations, you just completed a feat to be proud of. You know who else has level 80s? Red from Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver. So yeah, you just basically beat him, in case you never have before. I know I haven't.

Okay, so! After defeating her, you will get to talk to Yukari once more. Watch the credits roll, and wallow in your achievement.

I'll see you in the next part to begin the post-game!

9 comments:

  1. At Makai you can capture Shinki (Makai God) as well but she's super rare ever here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your assuming was right - Mai can be captured here, you should also add Louise to capture list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. for some update map: At Misty lake, in a cave at mid of lake, you can capture Letty Whiterock here, but i don't know how to get down to next lvl because way was blocked by some IceRock T_T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'm correct, the ice rock will disappear once you beat the game :)

      Delete
  4. Shinki uses a lv 76 Alice, if you didn't already know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your team is terribly underleveled? suuuurre........
    Power Suika level 70
    Defense Keine level 68
    Speed Chen level 68
    Defense Daiyousei level 69
    Power Sakuya level 57
    Power Miko level 56
    halp ;_;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always consider every one of my Puppets underleveled at most points in the game purely because in this game it is waaay too easy to be one-shot D:

      There's three decent choices for leveling pre-Makai Four.
      First, is Makai, which overall will probably give you less exp, but it's convenient because Louise is nearby for healing.
      Behind Hakurei Shrine and/or Hakurei Cave will probably be more effective, but considerably less convenient.

      Either way, try to avoid fighting non style-changed Puppets since they give way less exp. It'll probably be more time-effective to run from any normal form Puppets.

      I would say that with your team right now, I would advise getting all your 60s to 73 or so. Suika to high 70s at least. Sakuya and Miko to mid-60s.

      Since you wrote this on the base game guide, I am going to assume that you don't have the expansion, in which case you can take advantage of the Makai Four in order to level. Once you are confidently able to beat at least Yuki, you can use her to level and then gap out to Louise and do it again for *very* nice exp. This does not work in the expansion, however.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this. As for the random words they aren't random. Romantic Children is the theme for first time we see Alice in the Touhou series, TH5 Mystic Square stage 3

    ReplyDelete