Wednesday, June 26, 2013

A Nostalgic Post

As I'm walking around fighting Murlocs with my shiny new Warlock, Decorum, I'm reminded of when I first started playing WoW.

It was in 2009, during Wrath of the Lich King. I believe it must have been June. I always feel nostalgic during this time of year, since I remember that I started playing during the Midsummer Fire Festival.

A friend of mine recommended playing, since he was max level on Horde, on the Nazgrel server. One day, I was at the store with my grandmother and happened to see The Burning Crusade on sale. We bought it, and I brought it home to download it. Much to my dismay, this was an expansion pack, and required the base game to play. My parents picked that up for me too. My dad went overboard and bought Wrath of the Lich King while we were at it. Don't know why.

My first character (not including the Night Elf Druid that I took a few steps with, saw spiders, and deleted her) was a Blood Elf Warlock named Faedrasha. I was so proud when I hit level 2! She only ever got to level 11, but that was good enough for me. I remember doing the quest to get my Voidwalker, and dying multiple times in Ghostlands doing said quest. Nevertheless, I got that Voidwalker, and that was one of the proudest moments of my time on WoW.

Sadly, Faedrasha did not last long. As you all know by now, I have the attention span of a squirrel. My second (third, counting the Night Elf) was a Tauren Druid named Ocochewa. She only ever got to level 8 before Cataclysm hit.

I loved Cataclysm. A lot. I could finally level more efficiently. Ocochewa got to level 20, and I got my first mount (sadly, she never made it higher than 23). Faedrasha was remade multiple times, but I never found myself enjoying myself while playing a Warlock.

Now, in Mists of Pandaria, I feel like playing a Warlock more seriously for the first time since 2009. Sure, you've seen me make and remake various Warlock alts, but those were sort of a novelty for me. This time, I actually want to make a Warlock. I want to level her to max level. I want to focus just on her and make her my main. I want her to be higher than Theeriyi.

The reason? Yesterday, I received a letter in the mail. It was written by me, in 8th grade. 2009. My old middle school sent our letters to us, now that we've all graduated. One of the things I had written to myself were my characters in the games I played. Faedrasha was listed. I remembered how proud I was of hitting level 2. How proud I was when I got my Voidwalker. And somehow, I feel like I let my younger self down. I never did level Faedrasha. I got bored of her and deleted her. She was my first character, and I do wish that I had kept her. So, I've created this new incarnation of her: a human to match my change to Alliance.

So, I intend to put my effort into Decorum now. I'll still log onto my others, of course (particularly my tank and healers!), but I want to focus on Decorum. I got my Voidwalker a couple levels ago, and it's the first time I've been excited to play a Warlock in a while.

Does anyone else have fond memories of their first character?

No comments:

Post a Comment