Friday, October 23, 2015

GW2 Heart of Thorns First Impressions

I've been up since 7AM EST playing Heart of Thorns, and I just thought I would type out my impressions of it for those who maybe haven't gotten to play it yet for whatever reason.

I'm going to try and remain spoiler free, but there's a couple things I do want to touch on, but I will be vague so as to not spoil things. Hopefully. Spoiler warning anyway.

---------------------------------------

Revenant is fun, I think. Maybe. I'm actually not sure what I think about it yet. I'm quite enjoying mine at the moment. I'm using Staff and Hammer. I've seen people complaining about the Hammer, but I like it. I want to be a supportive-ey Ventari Revenant, and Staff / Hammer seems good. I love Staff, and I wanted to use Hammer because I refuse to not have one ranged weapon, and since that's the only one, I'll learn to love it regardless.

Maguuma itself is rather tedious. The events are okay. Gliding is fun. Exploring Maguuma is fun, but getting masteries seems too slow. I don't mind working for things, but I don't know, the amount of experience needed to get a mastery seems a bit excessive to me, but I'll end up doing it anyway, I'm sure. Gliding is too fun to pass up!

The story is good. I have to admit that one part actually terrified me. Without really spoiling anything, a character gets corrupted and you have to escape from them in a chase-obstacle-course thing, and you die instantly if they touch you. The corrupted version of that character creeped me immensely, and I hate when things in games chase me, so I was actually really scared during that story step. That said, I hope that is not the last we see of that character because I kind of expected more from their story. Seemed kind of anti-climactic.
Still on the topic of that chase bit though. That was hard. There was one part that I just couldn't figure out how to do until I looked it up. If you're stuck there, use 1 and then glide across. If you're at that part then you'll know what I'm talking about. I died so many times until I read to do that. And I mean a lot of times. All my armor broke and I completed it with a nude Sylvari! That hasn't happened to me since The Dragon's Reach Part 2!

I feel like I'm playing Mass Effect, what with the voice actress for female Sylvari player characters, and all the NPCs saying "Commander" at me constantly. Oh, and hey, Mordrem Husks. And indoctrina-- I mean corruption.

It seems like Maguuma is probably much more fun if you have friends to play with. I don't have friends to play with, so I wouldn't know, but it seems well suited for it.
That said, plenty of content is fine solo too. And currently everything is so crowded, so there's no lack of people at events. At least not in Verdant Brink. The later places are trickier since not that many people are up to that point yet.

Berserker gear feels very, very, very ultra squishy for this content. I suspect we'll be seeing a change in the most popular stats soon.

If I think of anything else I'll add it in!

No comments:

Post a Comment