Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Advice to anyone new to WoW

I think that one of my biggest issues with finding a character I enjoy playing is that I unconsciously cut myself off from certain classes/specs.

For example, my first character was a Druid. I thought that a Druid would be the class I would most enjoy because I like cats. That was an incorrect assumption because I can't seem to stick with a Druid for further than level 30 or so. Try as I might, I can't seem to stick with Feral, and Balance has been weird for me since the changes to how the Eclipse bar functions. I can't get into Resto healing, and we'll get into my experiences with tanking later.

My second character was a Warlock. I chose this one on a whim. Also, not really the best choice. I can't seem to stick with a Warlock past level 20. The highest I think was 25 and that was Affliction. Demonology and Destruction appear to be no-goes for me.

My first level 90 was a Windwalker Monk. I made her because Monk was brand-new and I was leveling with my father, who also made a Monk (although he stopped playing his Monk at level 30). For a while, I was the highest level Monk in my guild at the time before I was inevitably distracted and surpassed.

My absolute favorite class to play is Shadow Priest, which was one I never expected. I initially made my first Shadow Priest, Ariadust, to be a Discipline healer, but queues were slow so I switched over to Shadow to level. And I loved it. I only made a new Shadow Priest, Toyosatomimi, because I fell in love with the new human female models, and Toyosatomimi was boosted up to level 90. Toyosatomimi is now my reigning main character.

And time and time again, I find myself enjoying characters that I never expected.

I always thought I would like Arms Warrior best, but I am really enjoying Fury. I always assumed Elemental Shaman was right for me, but I am having more fun than I have in a while leveling an Enhancement Shaman.

And some specs change frequently for me. Last time I played I was really into Arcane Mage, but now I'm not so sure. Maybe it's time to give Frost a chance, since I've been bored of Fire lately too.

And as for Rogues? Well, I've only ever played Subtlety, so it's time to check out Combat and Assassination too.

My advice to new players is this: For some people, choosing a class is easy and they can stick with it and for others the choice takes a long time to find what you love. My advice is to not box yourself in to any specific classes or assume you won't like something. A class will click for you, you just have to find the right one. Mine is Shadow Priest, although I enjoy messing with other classes too, of course.

Oh, and that applies for roles too. Be sure to try healing, DPS, and tanking at some point. You may hate them, but do try them just for the sake of trying.
I quite enjoy healing in groups, dislike DPS in groups, and I don't like to talk about tanking because I am an incapable tank and I feel bad for the groups I tried to tank for. I am so sorry to anyone who had to witness that.

No comments:

Post a Comment